WE’RE ALL DIFFERENT so our treatments, including supplement protocols, should be individualized too.
I decided to connect with a compounder (Signature Supplements) to have the ability to create my own supplements. There are many benefits, read below for more information:
- Individualized care
- Reaching therapeutic dosages
- Access to 1000’s of ingredients
- Consolidation of supplements
- Avoiding fillers and toxins
- Choice of capsule or powder
- You’re in control
- Efficiency optimized
- Guaranteed gluten-free
- Condition-specific supplements
1) Taking individualized care one giant step further
- We’re all completely different from each other so it doesn’t make much sense that supplements take a one-size fits all approach.
- Combining a thorough health history intake and fashioning supplements specifically on a case-by-case basis is a way to individualize each patient’s health regiment.
- Offering your patients customizable supplements will separate you from other practitioners.
2) Reaching therapeutic dose for each ingredient
- Many supplement companies don’t stay up-to-date on research and put negligible doses on their bottles. There are big risks of self-supplementation with our patients and potential clients.
- Many companies won’t use therapeutic dosages with their products. For example, 40mg of vit C or 5mg of CoQ10 is commonly seen, while the research shows the therapeutic dose of these nutrients is >1000mg and >150mg, respectively. It’s a slap in the face and a waste of money to those who don’t know any better. I would even say it’s dangerous. If someone is relying on a supplement to treat a condition (ie. high blood pressure) and it’s not producing the expected results due to an insufficient dose, it could be hazardous to their health.
- Rather than taking the shotgun approach and spraying minuscule doses of nutrients into your system, it’s better to select which ones are the most appropriate and give them at a therapeutic dose.
3) Extensive range of ingredients
- Compounding companies will offer a range of vitamins, minerals, proteins, amino acids, herbs, sea plants/seaweeds, mushrooms, fruit and vegetable extracts, fibres, prebiotics, probiotics, nutraceuticals, enzymes, different flavours and sweeteners in various forms. Here is an example product list from Signature Supplements.
- There are 1000’s of supplements to fulfill your patient’s specific needs.
4) Consolidation of supplements
- A majority of my patients come in on 10-12 different supplements. With customized supplements, they’ll only have to order 1 or 2 bottles per month and will significantly decrease the number of pills taken.
- This will lower your patient’s total costs and number of capsules every day. Some of my patients are insecure about taking many different supplements, customization avoids them get ridiculed by the people around them.
5) I won’t add any junk fillers or toxins
- Some of the common fillers that are in your everyday supplements are controversial and cause possible detriments to your patient’s health. Some examples are lactose, magnesium stearate, titanium dioxide, artificial colours… among many more.
- If someone is lactose intolerant, the lactose in their supplements could have an adverse effect on them.
- There is controversy over whether magnesium stearate suppresses immune function. Taking immune enhancers like zinc, vitamin C, Echinacea, etc… could be redundant if this is true and you could be doing more harm than good. The research that has been done is lacking but when in doubt, don’t add it, in my opinion.
- Titanium dioxide is a potential carcinogen (contributes to cancer) which has been shown to cause an inflammatory response and DNA damage in mice.
- Artificial colours are suspected to contribute to behavioural issues, inflammation of kidney and liver tissue, as well as thyroid tumours (in mice). Also, who cares about colour?
- Parabens are considered potential hormone-disruptors.
- The list could go on and on.
6) You can choose whether you want a capsule or powder.
- If it’s a powder, you can choose from many flavours and it can be sweeten with xylitol instead of harmful artificial sweeteners, like aspartame or sucralose.
- Signature Supplements know their ingredients from top to bottom. If I create something that will taste terrible they notify me as to the changes needed to make it nice and tasty.
7) You’ll be the one formulating your supplements! Not some pharmaceutical company.
- Pharmaceutical companies own the majority of the generic supplement companies out there.
- Wouldn’t you rather be the one creating the supplements for your patients?
8) Efficiency for the practitioner!
- Initially it takes time to determine my patient’s exact supplement requirements, but once the work is done, it’s done unless a new symptom or necessity arises.
- You won’t have to search high and low for supplements from different companies to suit your patient’s individual needs.
- It gets frustrating trying to find the proper supplements that my patients need. Sometimes I’ll find a great supplement but there’s one ingredient that’s contraindicated with their medication or condition.
- There are some great supplement companies out there but having to pick and choose from each company can get time consuming. I still have my online dispensary with Healthwave for those who do not want custom supplements and would like to order from me online.
9) Gluten free guarantee
- You’d be surprised at how many supplements have gluten in them.
- Clinically I’ve seen patients who are affected by gluten remove it from their diet, get better and then become more sensitive to it. This sensitivity has been so severe to the point where just having a little bit of gluten has caused a relapse in their symptoms. Read more on going gluten-free.
10) Compound specific formulas for common conditions
The Chiropractor I work with, Dr. John Millett, and I are in the process of putting our minds and education together to develop some great combination supplements for those who do not want customized supplements.
The benefit of these combinations is that they’ll be on hand so patients can purchase them right away rather than having to wait to receive them in the mail. They are also a bit cheaper than customized supplements.
Some formulas that we’re going to put together are:
- A post-workout amino acid blend
- A bone-building supplement that takes estrogen deficiency into account (I’m in the midst of writing a blog about how osteopenia and osteoporosis can be a result of estrogen deficiency.
- Some digestive formulas
- An arthritis formula
- A cognition or mind stimulating formula
- A better sleep formula
- Multivitamin and multimineral formulas
- Hormonal imbalances formulas
- Prostate health formula
- Candida or yeast formula
- Blood sugar regulation formula
- High blood pressure formula